I’m not a huge fan of the old bucket list. I’m not the kind of traveller who likes to cross things off my to-do list when I visit a new part of the world. I like to take things slow. I like to meet people and learn about a places in time, rather than just pass through with a camera to take photos of all the local landmarks.
Travel, for me, is about learning and appreciating difference: in landscapes, in people, in local customs and in food. Next month I’ll be heading back to Colombia and there are so many things I want to do while I’m there. Rather than being a bucket list, though, I guess this is more just a personal reminder of some of the things I’d like to do while in the country. What do you think? What else should I add to the list?
Here goes, here’s my Colombia bucket list:
1. Climb the 659 steps to the top of El Penol, Guatape
Image: Angie Carvajal/Flickr
2. Brew my own cup of coffee in the Coffee Region and meet the people who make that possible
3. Visit Salento and cycle through the old town
4. Do the Bogota Graffiti Tour and learn about the local artists who bring colour, vibrancy and political history to the streets of the city
Image: McKay Savage/Flickr
5. Have a chocolate completo at La Puerta Falsa
Image: William Neuheisel/Flickr
6. Visit Lake Guatavita, where the story about El Dorado originates
7. Visit the Paloquemao Markets in Bogota
Image: Jack Zalium/Flickr
8. Meet up with some of fellow bloggers in Colombia
9. Hike through the Wax Palm landscapes in Quindio
10. Take a trip on the cable carts of Medellin and learn about the outskirts of this growing city
11. Explore the old city of Cartagena
12. Do a tour of the mangroves in Cartagena
13. Visit the Rosario Islands and Baru
Image: Randal Sheppard/Flickr
14. Learn more about the history of Santa Marta
15. Visit Playa Cristal
Image: Ben Bowes/Flickr
16. Walk to the top of Monserrate
17. Buy myself a ruana (a Colombian poncho)
18. Eat as many different types of arepas as humanly possible
19. Drink as many tropical fruit juices as humanly possible
20. Visit the Cristobal Colon theatre in Bogota
Pin this post for later!
What else should be added to my Colombia bucket list? Share your tips and ideas with me in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you think I should add.